Deer & Deer Hunting staffers selected some of their top accessories for making mock scrapes, freshening existing scrapes, and other hunting accessories.
With Christmas just a few weeks away, any of these deer scents or accessories would make would make great gifts for hunters! The great thing is with seasons open, you could get them now and start using them early or to finish a season in the Southeast or South!
1. Wildlife Research Magnum Scrape Dripper - Deer & Deer Hunting Editor Dan Schmidt: “These work great because you can hang them over a scrape or mock scrape and leave them. The design of the Scrape Dripper works during daytime hours to consistently freshen a scrape. Hang it high enough that a buck can’t yank it down, too.”
2. Code Blue Grave Digger Lures -Deer & Deer Hunting Managing Editor Jacob Edson: “One of the easiest things to use and freshen a scrape or mock scrape. The scent in the soil lasts for a long time.”
3. Smokey’s Buck Interdigital Gland Lure – Deer & Deer Hunting Managing Editor Alan Clemons: “It only takes seven or eight drops sprinkled into a scrape to let a buck know there’s an interloper. A buck’s sense of smell is so acute, he’ll go crazy thinking another deer is challenging him.”
4. Smokey’s Pre-Orbital Gland Lure – Deer & Deer Hunting Editor Dan Schmidt: “I have some trail camera photos of really nice bucks coming in to check out this scent. It’s really great stuff that works.”
5. Nutra Deer Antler Builder Deer Mineral Lick – Deer & Deer Hunting Managing Editor Alan Clemons: “Why wait until spring or summer to get a mineral lick started? If your soil’s not frozen, turn up a good spot and add some Nutra Deer. Get it going now and then freshen it in spring.”