how to select a hunting bow a joke

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
bkuhn

how to select a hunting bow a joke

Postby bkuhn » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:56 pm

The article in the deer hunters equiptment issue on how to select a hunting bow is a joke right ? For Mr. Banfelder to suggest that you can only get a quality bow for between $800 and $1000 is absurd. Even more , to suggest that using anything less than " a quality bow " will result in wounding deer is even more of a joke. Most deer hunters have to live by a budget. I have killed many deer over the years and have never payed more than $400 on a bow and that is far more than a lot of successful bowhunters pay for theirs. Just wondering what bow manufacturer he has in his pocket. Very disappointed in this article. Just another way to make this hobby a money game

Woods Walker

Re: how to select a hunting bow a joke

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:55 am

I love D&DH. It's one of two outdoor mags that I still buy (the other is Traditional Bowhunter).

But every now and then they have an article that makes you shake your head. Do what you're doing...let them know!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:20 am

I wonder what Fred Bear would say about that article? hmmmmm?
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:47 am

One of my long term hunting goals is to make a long bow with my own 2 hands and kill a deer with it. I have acquired a nice chunck of Osage (it's like a 3x3) for $20. I picked up a rasp at an auction for $2. My buddy gave me a draw knife to use as well. I'll probably buy (or have a bow shop guy make me) a modern string for it when the time comes, but I've even been saving the big tendons from the deer I've killed so that I've got a source of sinew if I decide to get that involved....

pretty sure that's WAY less money than the article talks about, and bows like the one I intend to create have been killing deer for thousands of years...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Schmidt

Postby Schmidt » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:02 am

Thanks for the input, guys. We are paying attention and will strive to do better.

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:53 am

Deebz, I will find and forward the video on making a Finnish twist bow string.;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:47 pm

Deebz wrote:One of my long term hunting goals is to make a long bow with my own 2 hands and kill a deer with it. I have acquired a nice chunck of Osage (it's like a 3x3) for $20. I picked up a rasp at an auction for $2. My buddy gave me a draw knife to use as well. I'll probably buy (or have a bow shop guy make me) a modern string for it when the time comes, but I've even been saving the big tendons from the deer I've killed so that I've got a source of sinew if I decide to get that involved....

pretty sure that's WAY less money than the article talks about, and bows like the one I intend to create have been killing deer for thousands of years...

Here you go Deebz, there are quite a few How to DIY 's on this page. http://www.howtohistory.com/video-tutorials/

MZS

Postby MZS » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:43 pm

The key is not your bow, but shooting within your limitations. So if 25 yds (or less) is your top range, then stay within that range.

Here is the irony: The guy with the $350 bow shooting a deer at 18 yds is probably more likely to get the deer than someone with a $1000 bow shooting at 35yds. The first bow I had was a wood riser Browning compound - a piece of junk by today's standards, but when everything was perfect in my release, I got my deer.

I would not spend much more than $400, even if I had the money to spare. I am guessing the vast majority are not spending over $500.

Sam Menard

Postby Sam Menard » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:13 pm

I've been a loyal reader for years and save all my issues... except the equipment guide its crap.

Sam
"The true hunter counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport."

Dr. Saxton Pope

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features