What Size of pack is necessary for deer hunting?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
First_Gen

Re: What Size of pack is necessary for deer hunting?

Postby First_Gen » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:00 pm

shadow357x2 wrote:
First_Gen wrote:I use a fanny pack that is big enough for a few things, yet easy enough to haul around for a day. I think I bought mine at a local sports store.

No need to buy into the heavily commercialized, overly marketed stuff out there. While I tend to be a minimalist in the woods, there shouldn't be a lot you need for a well planned, local hunt.

I carry:
-Two bottles of water
-Food (high energy candy bars, nuts, protein bars, etc...think quite opening)
-Grunt call
-Blaze orange vest
-Self made first aid kit/basic survival kit
-Extra pair of gloves and socks
-Pen, extra broadhead or two, flashlight
-Miscellaneous items

Basically keep the stuff you don't plan on using or won't use sealed up and away. Plan how you are going to use certain things during phases of the hunt and "stack" your pack accordingly. Keep the things you will need in easy, quite access.

Hope this helps.

Good point! I forgot because that's on the outside pocket of my pack next to my first aid. It is about a quarter roll of TP folded and about five or six "Wet Ones" wipes.

And dont forget the "EMERGENCY ROLL" Got one in every vehicle and all backpacks that are loaded for various things. No job is done till the paperwork is done. Of course you could go rambo and use a pine cone :o :o :o

engr76vt

Postby engr76vt » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:00 pm

All depends upon where your hunting. I have to spend an hour climbing the mountains here in Virginia and I sweat heavily. So I dress very light to begin the climb and carry a large pack that includes my coveralls, baselayers, any all the essentials such as gloves, headgear, extra ammo, extra light, knife, calls, binos, a drink or two and of course some toilet paper. When I finally get to my stand I strip off my outer shirt and sweaty tee shirt and cap and stuff them in a plastic bag and then back into the backpack. So where you hunt can play an important part in determining what size pack you need. If you hunt the flatlands of the midwest, you can probably get by with a smaller bag and as some others have mentioned, I wouldn't spend the extra bucks just to get a "top-of-the-line" pack. Most any brand will hold up for a lot of years unless you're unusually rough on them. I picked mine up from Sportsmanguide. Also depends upon how long you will stay in the woods. Frequently, I go in around 5AM and don't come out till dark. If you normally come out at lunch time, you don't need to carry as much stuff as someone who spends 12-13 hrs in the woods.

dezzy

Postby dezzy » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:23 am

Where do you guys find topographic maps? Do places like wal mart sell them?

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:50 am

Check out Google Earth or other internet sites...

Didn't somebody post a link to a good interactive topo map website??

I seem to remember Shaman thought it was pretty cool
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:27 am

In my area I get topo maps at any sporting goods store. Here is a link http://www.bing.com/maps/ to a site similar to Google but I like it much better. Sometimes the pic that you see are not real recent, may be from last year. Any how I use it a lot and like it but can't replace topo maps.
Doug

Previous

Return to Best Practices