First or second antler to drop

The popular off-season pastime is quickly becoming a sport itself. Help cure antler illness by sharing your shed hunting tactics.
charlie 01

First or second antler to drop

Postby charlie 01 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:37 am

Here are some pics of bases of first and second antlers to drop. Usually and almost always the first antler off, (unless knocked off while fighting) will have a smooth pedicle area at the base. And an antler pedicle base that has some kind of burr on it is generally the second one to go. The burr is an indication that it was knocked off. Again, nothing is cut in stone, but pretty much on the money for most of the time.
IMG_2494-1.jpg
IMG_2494-1.jpg (24.07 KiB) Viewed 3838 times
IMG_2499-1.jpg
IMG_2499-1.jpg (26.9 KiB) Viewed 3838 times

So, if you find a shed antler that has a burr of any kind on it, it's safe to say the other side is on the ground and that he is not still carrying it, although somebody else might be. Also, coyotes will pick them up and carry it off for an untold distance.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

croz2173

Re: First or second antler to drop

Postby croz2173 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:22 pm

I havent heard that before about coyote picking sheds up. Do they chew them for the minerals or are they just interested in them do you think?

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:07 pm

Great post Charlie. Valuable information to have. The seasoned shed hunter that you are, how would you go about finding the first antler after finding an antler with a burr on it? Also, what area of Illinois are you from?
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:39 pm

4khorn wrote: The seasoned shed hunter that you are, how would you go about finding the first antler after finding an antler with a burr on it? Also, what area of Illinois are you from?

Southwest suburbs of Chicago, Luke. The same way you would go about finding the second antler after finding one that is smooth or burrless, just keep on looking. All kidding aside, there is no positive answer to your question. It could be anywhere. I have found some that were over a mile away from each other. Then with some, the other side is never found. This year was a first, found a large pair that were 10 or 12 ft. apart that had burrs on both pedicles. I have to believe they were knocked off while fighting, or he felt thay were ready and schook them both off.
never say never

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:00 pm

croz2173 wrote:I havent heard that before about coyote picking sheds up. Do they chew them for the minerals or are they just interested in them do you think?

They seem to treat it as some kind of toy and some will chew on them, espescially if the antler has a drop tine and the tip of it is soft. Much like some dogs chew antler pieces. With the influx of coyotes lately, I find this quite often these days. Getting to be anoying.
never say never

Return to Shed Hunting