Small food plot

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
usmclowrider

Small food plot

Postby usmclowrider » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:15 pm

I am thinking about throwing out some kind of no plow seed this spring in a small corner I hunt in the back of my parents property. My concern is the area I am looking at is only going to be about a 1/4 acre or less. Am I wasting my time doing this or will it actually help bring more deer? The property already has plenty of grass and small trees and also runs right up to a cow field. There is already a decent number of deer that pass through, I just wanted to try to attract more with a little better selection of food. Does this idea sound reasonable or is it a waste of time with a such a small area?

kellory

Re: Small food plot

Postby kellory » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:53 pm

I would think, anything that would make a deer more likely to linger, or return would be an improvement. Weather it be a new watering hole, an extra apple tree, acorns, honeysuckle, clover, or corn. Anything growing that supplies food early or late will be noticed and marked by deer. Salt blocks help only during the early season, and some stuff lasts until late season.
If it is economical, I would do it, in small plots, on trails, near water, anywhere the location favors the hunter.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:46 pm

Food plots will definitely draw the does, and where ever the does are, is where the bucks will end up! I'm not a fan of national branded food plot seeds, but I have used Throw 'N Grow with some success in areas that I couldn't get the tractor or the ATV into to plant my normal food plot choices.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:34 am

You need to be careful...I started out with an 1/8 acre little planting and now have 14 plots 1/8 - 3/4 acres ;)
If you enjoy the work put into any planting...it's never a waste of time, but even with a throw and grow..(read label carefully,avoid perennial rye) you will need to consider the added cost of lime if needed and some fertilizer. The other thing to consider..if you are new to this is the sun...some thing that is, what you see now, you won't see during growing season.This stated if plot is in a wooded area...you have leaf cover and the sun changes position in the sky as the seasons progress.

Now go with something that the local farms are not planting at the time,deer love variety. match seed to conditions..clovers enjoy moisture and not very dry...Chicory is deep rooted and handles dry needs more sun than some covers...annuals could be WW with some braccs. thrown in. I make my own mixes, but have used brand names to test. The only one I would recommend would be Tecomate max attract, can't say enough good things about that product. I am very pick about my seed plantings.
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management