TV HUNTS - STAGED OR REAL ?

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
rthomas4

Re: TV HUNTS - STAGED OR REAL ?

Postby rthomas4 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:24 am

Croz, if it's legal, then yes. There are a lot of predation permits issued in SC that allow for night hunting to reduce the deer population on plantations, and some urban housing areas.......Hilton Head, and Seabrook Island are two of the most well known areas.

pgchambers, just who were you addressing? Could you clarify?
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:47 am

Hey Kellory, I check in now and then, but mostly avoid off season "politics".

rthomas4,
I will clarify somewhat, but don't want to fan the flames too much. As I read it, Gafrage made a pretty tame statement about giving some credit to QDM guys rather then bashing them. Woods Walker, seems to have read it differently than me. The irony/hypocrisy in the statements I quoted, all Woods Walker's, speaks for itself, I think. If those two want to go at it fine, but I can't help pointing out preaching and being condescending while calling out others for preaching and being condescending.

As hunters, we have no shortage of people who don't like to be judged, but have no problem judging. We walk a fine line when we give our "opinions" of other people's methods. When the opinion openly or passive aggressively casts judgement, I call bullshit to the notion it is not an insult, only an opinion. Look, I have been guilty myself. I have stated my thoughts on high fence, and crossed the line into judging others. Whether I want to hunt that way or not, is my choice, but as long as others are within the law, I have no cause to judge their methods.

I accept, that I too can get a bit preachy. Hell, my daughter has even called me preacher a time or two. :oops:
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

WVUBUCK

Postby WVUBUCK » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:08 pm

I think that these people on TV have money to buy land and grow crops for deer and other animals. I think when you have a good piece of land that you can show big bucks all the time then someone will put you on TV. Tiffany and Lee aren't on TV because of Lee or Bucks but because Tiffany is quite good looking. They aren't do anything that us average Joes don't do day in and day out. Difference is that we don't feed and grow big bucks all year long because our jobs aren't deer hunting. If my job was to deer hunt then I too would have big bucks to shoot. I would say that most of the personalities on TV aren't any better than us. In fact, I think the average joe that can kill a big buck on his own land or public land is far better a hunter than anyone on TV!

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:29 pm

My biggest issue with Mr. Gafrage is his tellling us that the only reason we are able to see and kill big bukcs is because of people like him, to which I say BULLS**T. Talk about an ego gone wild!

And I will leave alone his personal comments on my facial expressions and his erroneous statements about my motives, my hunting history and experiences of which he knows absolutely NOTHING, and his comments prove that.

And you will also note that he didn't refute my comments about the NEGATIVE things that QDM/TDM has done for hunting. He seems to think that personally trying to belittle me is an adquate response. He's wrong.

And finally, the only thanks I give when I shoot a deer is to God.
Last edited by Woods Walker on Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:53 pm

pg: I guess we did read it differently!

"If you hunt in one of the counties I mentioned above, and aren't seeing deer or things you can shoot on a regular basis, maybe you should look into how you hunt".

"QDM isn't for everyone, and it surely doesn't happen overnight, but maybe it will help you in the long run as well where you see deer on a regular basis, and you can shoot whatever you'd like, whenever you want.

".......instead of critizing people who take the time and sacrifice a lot of their time to make things possible to hunters like yourself, embrace that, and accept the fact that you're seeing deer period because of them." (Gee....I wonder how I saw and shot ALL those big deer in those years BEFORE the term "QDM" was even coined???)

I read these comments and I see condescendtion, massive misplaced ego, and in my view a complete opposite of what hunting is. Hunting is NOT about, "....you can shoot whatever you'd like, whenever you want." If that's what I wanted I go to a fenced deer farm and shoot one in a cage.

I initially made the comment that it's the RARITY of big bucks that makes them a trophy. That didn't seem to sit too well with Mr. Gafrage.

That's how I read it.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:44 am

I have to say, I killed more bigger bucks 30 and 40 years ago, than I do these days. But; back then we never killed a doe, unless it was on the one doe day per year in the 60's, and then when we started getting landowner doe tags in the late 70's. Now with 14 doe days when we can kill two does per day, and the optional 4 doe tags we can use after September 15th., we actually have more bucks, but they aren't nearly as big, for the most part as they were in the old days. Of course, we also have more deer hunters, and back in the old days, no one knew what bow hunting was and most of the deer hunting was done with hounds. Still hunting didn't become popular down in my part of the country, until sometime in the mid 80's, and now days, between the archery hunters, and the non-residents, dog hunters are being squeezed out of all of the prime lease lands, and of course dog hunting isn't allowed on public lands, anymore.

QDM only works in areas where the adjoining property owners all get together and form an agreement, and even then many times the different owners will violate the agreement, or allow outsiders to hunt their property who don't follow the rules. That's why as I've said, I practice my own version of QDM on my property, which means trying to keep the damn poachers off of my place as the number one priority.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

ridgewalker

Postby ridgewalker » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:36 pm

It's all about marketing products. They may not all be high-fence but, one thing for sure is they are all very polished infomercials and nothing more. Show the mega-buck, a kill shot and sell some products. Though they sell products, I like the Primos Truth shows and fine them especially entertaining. RThomas4, if you are a public hunting ground hunter, you are probably twice the hunter that any of these "Pro Hunters"are. Good question, and good hunting to you.

FlDeerman64

Postby FlDeerman64 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:27 am

I watched Jackie Bushman hunt on his property in Alabama.Yes he shot a buck with a muzzle loader,not a monster but one like most of us :commoners"shoot.I thought it was one of the best shows he ever did.

loneranger

Postby loneranger » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:06 am

Since this post has been renewed, Just thought I'd comment. Not all TV hunts are probably staged, but if done on private farms and Ranches,,they don't have to be. I got so frustrated with MI hunting I once paid for a hunt in S-Dakota. What an eye opener that was! Three thou-acres of protected cattle land. Only a select few rifle hunters a year. I was the first bow hunter they tried. This was incredible. Their idea of a blind was me sitting on a pail against a tree. I thot they were crazy, but they weren't. Deer paraded past me several hrs before dark. does with fawns,2 yr old bucks, yearlings. Some eyed me up and down but few were even spooked. It was like a deer park! They were wild deer though. Just seldom had any bad experience with a human. So,, if you can obtain and protect enough land,,you too can have spectacular hunting. Like you see on the shows. It is all about people-deer interaction, plain and simple!

sadiemay123

Postby sadiemay123 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:57 am

I think that some shows and hunting videos probably are recorded in high fence areas and on deer farms. Also, they occur on non pressured areas for hunting.

Previous

Return to Breaking News