Thompson Center Impact - Review

buckhunter21

Thompson Center Impact - Review

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:22 am

I'm new to smoke-poles and have been eyeing on purchasing one for a couple years now.  Does anyone know about the one here...Or can take a look at the specs and reviews online to let me know what you think?  Like I said, I'm totally new and am not really sure what to look for.  Obviously T/C is a great company and wouldn't imagine they would make anything 'cheap,' but this gun is about $250 retail, which is quite a bit less than say the ProHunter.  It's also considered a 'starter' gun.  ....and being a starter, am I better off buying one like this, or spending the money for something like the ProHunter?

Thanks in advance!

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/impact.php
QDM!

Bowtechian

RE: Thompson Center Impact - Review

Postby Bowtechian » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:55 am

I'm a newby to smoke poles as well, & after doing research on my options I purchased the T/C Triumph with the weathershield barrel for $480. It has a break open design & the breach plug can be removed with your fingers. It's hard to beat for ease of shooting & cleaning.

The Prohunter would be a good option if you ever plan on buying additional different caliber barrels for hunting various seasons. Unless you have lots of money lying around, there's no reason you need a high dollar gun just for use in muzzleloading.

I really think you're going to like muzzleloading, so I wouldn't buy a "starter" gun just because you're new to it. It might become your favorite type of shooting. I wish I would have gotten into the sport sooner.
Dave M.

Relentless

Postby Relentless » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:22 am

Buckhunter21, I am no pro by any means but, I have hunted with front stuffers for several years now.  I started with, and still have a T/C Omega....and I love the gun.  I have killed a lot of deer with it.  Last year I bought the T/C Triumph in the camo Bonecollector version.....I love it even more!  The break open action and the speed breech are my two favorite "options" on the Triumph.  Buy whatever you can afford but, if money is not the driver I would certainly check out one of these two guns.  Cabelas will occasionally put them on sale too....I got my gun last year for about $70 cheaper since it was on sale. 

Bucks and does alike, if I ever lose the rush leading up to and after a kill, I will hang it up. Knowing me, that will never happen.

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:01 am

I like TC products but their customer service, at least as far as responding to email, leaves a lot to be desired.  I have the TC Triumph also which shoots 110 grains of triple 7 and the hornady sst 250 grain sabot very well.  My only gripe with the gun is the hammer.  It is small and fairly concealed under the bell of my scope.  With cold weather and gloves, it can be hard to set.  I talked with a TC rep at the Eastern Sportsmans show in Harrisburg this past February.  He assured me that TC was addressing the problem out of the custom shop.  Well, they did on the new Triumph bone collector model by adding a hammer extention but have not added the fix to existing models.  It looks like an easy fix and I'd be willing to pay for the part but cannot get them to respond.  I guess I'll have to pay for a long distance call.  Maybe you can see how close the hammer is to the scope in this pic.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:04 pm

ORIGINAL: Relentless

Buckhunter21, I am no pro by any means but, I have hunted with front stuffers for several years now.  I started with, and still have a T/C Omega....and I love the gun.  I have killed a lot of deer with it.  Last year I bought the T/C Triumph in the camo Bonecollector version.....I love it even more!  The break open action and the speed breech are my two favorite "options" on the Triumph.  Buy whatever you can afford but, if money is not the driver I would certainly check out one of these two guns.  Cabelas will occasionally put them on sale too....I got my gun last year for about $70 cheaper since it was on sale. 

Yes, I was actually looking at the BC Triumph too.  Sportsman's Guide had it on sale with the scope for $599 I believe if bought before Dec. 31st.  But, what's the difference between this gun and say the Impact?  Impact had great reviews and is quite a bit less, so not sure if it holds the 'you get what you pay for' analagy!?

Also checked out the Traditions Vortec.  That looks like a great gun too. 

So many options!  I just would like to know if there is a big difference between what you get and price in any of these guns. 
QDM!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:05 pm

so I wouldn't buy a "starter" gun

But is this a 'starter' gun though?  I mean it's cheap, but what's the difference?
QDM!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:07 pm

ORIGINAL: CB on the run

I like TC products but their customer service, at least as far as responding to email, leaves a lot to be desired.  I have the TC Triumph also which shoots 110 grains of triple 7 and the hornady sst 250 grain sabot very well.  My only gripe with the gun is the hammer.  It is small and fairly concealed under the bell of my scope.  With cold weather and gloves, it can be hard to set.  I talked with a TC rep at the Eastern Sportsmans show in Harrisburg this past February.  He assured me that TC was addressing the problem out of the custom shop.  Well, they did on the new Triumph bone collector model by adding a hammer extention but have not added the fix to existing models.  It looks like an easy fix and I'd be willing to pay for the part but cannot get them to respond.  I guess I'll have to pay for a long distance call.  Maybe you can see how close the hammer is to the scope in this pic.

ya that is pretty close.  i could see how that would be difficult, even though i've never shot a smoke-pole in my life. 

i'm leaning towards a T/C or Traditions.  they seem to be the top two quality smoke-pole gun-makers from what i have read.  would you guys agree?
QDM!

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:30 pm

I would not rule out Knight.  They should be back in business shortly and pioneered modern muzzleloading.
The different between a 'starter' ML and a more expensive model is like anything else, more & better accessories.  Better barrel, trigger etc.  Make sure it's a 209 ignition unless you live in the upper northwest, Washington, Idaho etc where 209 isn't legal.  Make sure you have a 26" barrel or longer to burn the powder. Make sure it isn't an open breech model where your primer is exposed.

CB

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:33 am

But is this a 'starter' gun though?  I mean it's cheap, but what's the difference?
[/quote]

Sorry I didn't see your question sooner.

The Impact seems to be geared toward younger hunters with the 1" adjustment in the buttstock length. Even the T/C website considers it a youth model. In an add I saw from T/C, they said it was a great starter gun. We know the price is right, & if the gun fits you right, you should get years of great shooting from it.

Let us know what you end up getting.
Dave M.

tdmtneer

Re: Thompson Center Impact - Review

Postby tdmtneer » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:42 am

Just bought a TC Impact and it shot Powerbelt 295 gr spot on at 80 yards right out of the box! Can't wait until next season!

Return to Muzzleloaders