Some advice for the new guy?

Share your tips and techniques on these great, but often times lost methods of hunting.
Woods Walker

Re: Some advice for the new guy?

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:11 am

Rob: Let me just touch on a few points...

1. Footwear. If you are in fact gettting within 20 yards then you have the method for walking quietly down pretty well. My only question is your footwear. If you are wearing regular hunting boots with lug Vibram soles then you may as well have bells on your ankles. Vibram lug soles are the WORST thing you can wear for this kind of hunting. If it's dry and not frigid cold I wear Converse high top sneakers for my hunting. I buy them a size larger so I can wear a couple pair of wool socks. I also have a pair of Tingley slip on shoe rubbers for the early morning dew. When it get's colder/wetter I then use LL Bean Maine hunting boots with the thinsulate liner. You need footwear that you can "feel" the ground with when you set your foot down before you set all your weight on it so that if you feel a stick you can avoid it before you step all the way on it.

2. Binos are a must, especially in heavy cover. You HAVE TO see them first or the gig is over. I know that's tough but that's what makes it so much fun and what is so rewarding. When you see them and they don't see you with this kind of hunting, especially when you're close, then you've won, whether you shoot one or not. I use mine constantly, and will scan a cover up close, and then refocus so that I can see "into" the cover layer by layer. Obviously you look for movement...ANY kind of movement. That's a no brainer. But you also need to learn to look for horizontal lines in a setting where everything is vertical.

3. Patience. That's the key. I can't speak to your PTSD but for me I couldn't hunt this way until I had developed the patience to sit from dark to dark in a treestand. Hunting this way takes a LOT of self control and discipline. I find that I need to convnce myself to ABSOLUTELY believe that there's ALWAYS deer just beyond where I cannot see and I need to move accordingly. In fact, another mindset I use is after I've scanned a cover and am 1000% positive that there are no deer IN THE FIELD OF VIEW I JUST SCANNED, I then hold the advantage. When I move then I GIVE AWAY that advantage, so when I do move I want to do it with extreme caution...like walking on eggs. Then I take a few S L O W steps and the stop and do it all over again with that mindset.

Yes, this is slow hunting. If you are doing it right the cover you worked though an hour ago..which may be 40 yards or so behind you...is just as viable a place to spot deer as what's in front of you so you have to scan behind you just as much as what's in front. This takes A LOT of patience like stand hunting, but it differs from stand hunting in that it IS NOT boring. You always have something to do. In fact, for me I find that sometimes I just find a log and sit for a while because it's so intense that I need a break! Go light. Leave the cell phone in your truck. Forget about time also, or at least in the context of the hunt and the idea that "I want to get to the big oak near the pasture by 10, so I can leave by 11". If you are hunting according to a watch then you are beat before you start. The ONLY goal you should have is to get another few yards without being seen....period.

I hope this helps. Best of luck to you.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

professionalredneck

Postby professionalredneck » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:19 am

You know what, we use to do something like that for training in the military. I don't know why I didn't think of that until I read your post (probably because we did it with guns not bows) but it should work. We use to have to run a little course and come back and shoot from 4 different stations. Each station u had to shoot either standing, kneeling, or laying down. Anyways it was to teach you to shoot in a stressful situation. I understand it is training but it didn't work to good in my eyes but that was probably the closes you could get to combat so no one complained. I bet it would work great hunting though. I can't believe I didn't even think of it until you posted that.

Right now I have been switching from boots to shoes. The boots are a pair of leather cowboys, pretty hard sole and I can't feel nothing under my feet.. When I wear the boots I am still pretty quiet, I wear them when it's wet bc they are water proof and keep my feet dry. I have a pair of shoes that I take out when it's dry and they a 100% better. Feel everything that is under my foot before I step on it. I focus more on looking up then down when I wear the shoes which makes a big difference. I have been thinking of ways to wear the shoes (like a pair of sox, grocery bag over the sox, then another pair of sox over the bags, then foot in shoe) but the rubber over the shoe thing seems like it would be a great solution. I wouldn't have to wear those boots hunting no more.

I do the same thing with the sit at the log every now and then. I did buy a pair of $10 bino's from Walmart. They're Tasco 10x25mm. There small and cheap but they work. I was questioning buying them because sense I have started hunting I have been driving my self nuts over guns, bows, hunting gear. I bought tree stands, all this hunting crap and now I feel like a idiot because I bought guns, traded for guns, sold, buy, trade hunting gear and I never shot a deer. Once I caught on to me being a idiot with money I have been watching it ever sense. But I made the jump and spent the $10 on bino's and so far, in the last 3 years, this is the best buy. It slows me down more and I see things, in places that the human eye can't. Helps a lot and the first time I used them I see the deer before they seen me. Now I'm working on closing the gap and sealing the deal.

All your advise helps me a lot. Where I lack in military training you guys make up in advise so it really helps. As far as the PTSD goes, it sucks bad I hate it. It's having no control over none of your feelings and you don't feel like a MAN no more. Your always scared, anxious, paranoid, and a bunch more. Hunting helps me, I read some people loose there hunting drive who have PTSD. I never killed a deer yet do I think I'm lucky that it never effected me there. Being in the woods, sneaking around, trying to kill something to eat. That is peaceful to me and I am alone, and no on knows I'm there except the ones who need to.. I like it a lot, I worry about my relationship sometimes because I hunt so much!!!! I check in my my fiancé (who has been through a lot with this) and she likes me doing it bc it calms me some..

But enough with that ill let y'all go for now. If any more advise let me know I am all ears. I just know ill have some deer this year.

Thanks
Rob

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:21 pm

One more tip Rob:

When you are in one of your numerous "stand and scan" periods during a stillhunt, always look at the ground and the exact path you w ant to take BEFORE you begin moving again, so that when you do move you are looking up and around you and NOT at your feet. In other words, plan your route.

I always do this and will look for branches, rocks and dips or holes so I can avoid them when I take my next few steps before I stop and scan again.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Previous

Return to Ground Hunting, Still Hunting, and Stalking