Has anyone seen a growth like this?

If you used our old forum, please read this ...
JaxsonStar

Has anyone seen a growth like this?

Postby JaxsonStar » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:37 pm

My field cam caught this buck on 25 Sep. I have previous pics of him, beginning in early Sep where the growth is small, and each pic after shows it getting larger. I haven't seen him on my cam since 25 Sep. Does anyone know what this growth could be? I've never seen anything quite like this before. Appreciate any feedback on this.
Attachments
PICT0732 (Medium).JPG
PICT0732 (Medium).JPG (46.86 KiB) Viewed 1941 times

Deebz

Re: Has anyone seen a growth like this?

Postby Deebz » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:13 am

I've seen pics and such of things like this on deer in the past. I've never seen anything in the flesh though. Short answer, it's a tumor. There are a lot of things that could cause such a tumor, so without actually being able to examine the deer, it's hard to tell. It could be some kind of damage/infection from a near miss with a car or barbed wire, it could just be a fatty tumor (I had a dog with one once), it could be cancer.

The deer looks pretty healthy overall aside from the growth...hard to say without a dead deer in front of you to examine
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

rthomas4

Re: Has anyone seen a growth like this?

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:34 pm

Yep, that appears to be a tumor or some sort of injury that became infected. Check out the deer in the pictures I posted down in the "photo corner" thread, that my brother killed Monday night. The growth on the one he killed was actually a hernia.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Return to NEW FORUM FAQ